I recently returned to Bainbridge Island to visit the Labyrinth I completed in May of 2014. It was my first time back since the dedication ceremony last June. An attractive wood box containing laminated fliers describing the meaning of the Labyrinth has replaced the interpretive sign that was there when I was working on the project. Most of the horse shoes from the stables across the road were gone although a couple had been moved to the hole in the center where offerings are placed.
It was a wonderful experience to see how this magical space has fared over the past year, beautifully maintained and brimming with the accumulated energy of the thousands of people who have walked it in my absence. I came with two friends from Portland who had never seen it except in pictures. One of them, my dear friend Eric Slade, came to film the space as part of a story he is making for Oregon Public Broadcasting's show Oregon Art Beat on my work as an artist.
|Eric Slade filming the offerings in the center of the Labyrinth|
|Visitors walking the Labyrinth|
But finding the essays in a chronological order is not all that easy the way the blog site is organized, so I've decided it would be a good idea to list the links to the essays here as a list so that you can click on the links and go from the beginning to the end as they are meant to be read. So here it is:
1. The Labyrinth Project, the beginning
2. The Halls Hill Labyrinth Project: The Mala Circuit
3. The Halls Hill Labyrinth: Pluto and the Four Elements
4. Halls Hill Labyrinth: The Neptune Circuit
5. The Halls Hill Labyrinth, the 7th Circuit, Uranus, God of the Sky
6. The Halls Hill Labyrinth, the 6th Circuit, The Rings of Saturn
7. The Apollon Beach Mosaics, Greece
8. The Minoan Labyrinth
9. The Halls Hill Labyrinth, Jupiter
10. The Halls Hill Labyrinth, The Fourth Circuit, Mars
11. The 3rd Circuit, Earth, the Community Circuit
12. The Halls Hill Labyrinth, The 2nd Circuit, Venus, Love
13. The Halls Hill Labyrinth, The First Circuit, Mercury
14. The Halls Hill Labyrinth, The Sun
|A red flower in the Summer quadrant of the 11th Circuit|
Filming requires repeating shots over and over until the desired look is captured. Eric filmed me walking barefoot, back and forth on different sections depending on the light for hours. I could feel the warmth of the sun on the black rocks in the autumnal quarter of the circle as I tred on them as opposed to the coolness of the lighter colors. I really noticed how different the level of connection is when you walk it barefoot rather than in shoes.
|The opening in the center of the Labyrinth contains offerings left by a number of people|
Thanks for reading, and if you have time, read the essays from start to finish. They're pretty interesting.
|Dappled Autumnal light on the Labyrinth|
|Blakely Harbour, Bainbridge Island, Washington|